The other day I noticed that my Microsoft Outlook 2007 PST file was not compacting as it regularly should. The file size was well over 6gb when Outlook reported that the actual needed space was close to 1gb. I tried the conventional methods to reduce the size, but ended up taking a new approach that actually worked.
Now that we’ve prepared our system (Click Here for Part 1), we are ready to download and install Asterisk. I’m sure that if you’re stumbling upon this post from a Google query, there are newer versions of Asterisk available, but during the time of my research, 220.127.116.11 was readily available.. and works for our needs. To be completely honest, 1.8.x was available as well, but I had some issues with the connection to our Avaya system (namely H323). Calls would transfer, but immediately drop – so I stuck with 1.6.x.
Through the next few posts, I plan on showing you how to install Asterisk 1.6.x on Ubuntu 10.10, link it to an Avaya S8700/8300 through H.323 and configure it to successfully handle all voicemail. This project is a great solution for anyone still using an Octel voicemail box, as support is quickly coming to an end (June 2011). This solution solves a few problems others have been having – including MWI (message waiting indicators) on Avaya telephones AND figuring out what extension was dialed. Read more
Recently, I needed to update a few versions of Linux with security and application updates. The challenge was that I’ve always done it from a GUI interface. Doing it from a command line was extremely easy though. Here’s how I did it: Read more
I started receiving an error in Nagios that stated: NSClient – Error: Could not get data for 10 perhaps we don’t collect data this far back? I started researching the issue, and the obvious solutions weren’t working. Read more
Okay… I’ve been using the Gmail notifier for Windows for a few years and have come to rely on it. It usually sits patiently in my taskbar waiting to report on any new messages that have arrived in my gmail inbox. Recently though, it simply stopped working, and since then, it has been driving me crazy! Read more
While trying to upgrade a program on a Windows 2003 Domain controller, I received an error that said: “Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.” Huh??? I’m a domain administrator! How could I not have the appropriate permissions? So I copied the file to my desktop from the network drive, thinking any access/permissions or connectivity problems would be resolved. Wrong. Same error. Read more
Today I was receiving an error “The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started.” when trying to see a share on a remote machine. Read more
On a Windows 2008 web server, we started receiving HTTP 503 error pages. The first thing I noticed was that the application pool for this website kept shutting down – and even after I forced it to start, the website never loaded – just returned the 503 error message. After looking in the Event Viewer Application logs, I saw I had a 2280 error – “The Module DLL C:\windows\System32\inetsrv\compdyn.dll failed to load. The data is the error.” Read more
Recently my address bar in Firefox 3.0.14 was not changing while I was surfing the web on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. Although it didn’t prevent me from accessing the pages I needed, it did become quite annoying. The solution was to delete my profile as it had become corrupt. Unfortunately, this will remove all bookmarks, custom preferences, etc. Read more